Web Developer Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Web Developer and IT and Technology trends.
A Web Developer is responsible for the coding, design and layout of a website according to a company’s specifications. As the role takes into consideration user experience and function, a certain level of both graphic design and computer programming is necessary. Once a website has been created, a Web Developer will generally assist with the maintenance and upkeep of the website.
Web Developer duties and responsibilities of the job
A Web Developer must have experience in the planning and the delivery of web applications across multiple platforms. A typical Web Developer job description should cover:
- Writing efficient code
- Creating websites/a website using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Working closely with web designers and programmers to produce the website
- Constant communication with other colleagues in the business to develop and deploy their content – and ensuring there is a clear establishment of what can be created within what timeframe
- Researching different software programs, maintaining software documentation
- Implementing contingency plans in case the website goes down
- Maintaining and expanding/enhancing the website once built
- Managing a team might also be part of the job role
Web Developer job qualifications and requirements
Although there are no formal educational requirements to become a Web Developer, experience in the field will be expected. Knowledge in the following is a requirement:
- Server architecture
- Experience with server-side frameworks such as python, ruby, php, Java, ASP, ASP.NET
- Experience with database systems such as SQL and Oracle
A Bachelor’s degree in the following subjects should be included:
- Computer Science
Aside from these skills, there are a number of qualities to be highlighted in a Web Developer job description to ensure the most suitable candidates apply:
- Thorough functional knowledge and coding experience
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation
- Ability to multitask with strict time constraints, budgets and business goals
- Strong communication skills
- Management experience or examples that show ability to manage a team, should this role involve team management
Are you looking for an Web Developer role? View our latest Web Developer jobs here.
Looking for an Web Developer job or IT and Technology specific salary information? Head over to our Web Developer Salary Guide for insights and trends.