Faced with an ever-increasing cyber-security threat, organisations need to maintain a vigilant approach to protect their systems and data, and Security Engineers play a key role in this process. Security Engineers can be responsible for a number of functions associated with IT security - from ensuring the security of software, through to selecting and/or constructing and deploying broader network security systems.
Security Engineer duties and responsibilities of the job
A Security Engineer job description should include the responsibility of completing a thorough risk assessment, identifying vulnerabilities within a network, and creating firewalls, or configuring systems to enhance existing security features.
Security Engineers are expected to respond to, and document, any security threats, resolve technical faults and allocate resources to deliver real solutions in a cost-effective way. They must also be proficient in:
- Understanding complex technical issues and managing them within a fast-paced business environment
- Maintaining all the software and hardware in relation to security
- Documenting security certification
- Identifying current and emerging technology issues including security trends, vulnerabilities and threats
- Threat intelligence
- Sourcing and implementing new security solutions to better protect the organisation
- Conducting proactive research to analyse security weaknesses and recommend appropriate strategies
- Liaising with vendors to implement security solutions
Security Engineer job qualifications and requirements
Holding an IT-related degree and a technical background is essential for a Security Engineer role. Individual organisations may have additional requirements for a Security Engineer, including security certifications such as CISSP, GISP, and CISM.
As well as formal qualifications, a Security Engineer job description should include the following qualities:
- Expertise across a variety of security products including firewalls, URL filtering, information security and virus protection
- The commercial acumen to provide cost-effective security solutions
- An enthusiasm for staying up to date with the very latest updates about security threats and solutions
- Outstanding communication skills that go beyond “tech talk” – the ability to translate complex IT matters to those without an IT background
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Previous exposure to Linux and/or Windows Operating Systems, coding languages, and/or Networks
Are you looking for a Security Engineer role? View our latest Security Engineer jobs here.