Payroll Officer Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Payroll Officer and Finance and accounting trends.
A Payroll professional is responsible for processing payroll, remitting payroll taxes and government reporting as well as preparing monthly, quarterly and year-end payroll statements. A Payroll Supervisor/Manager will ensure compliance with government regulations, establishing and implementing policies on matters such as payroll advancements to employees and the hiring, training and supervision of payroll staff.
Payroll Officer duties and responsibilities of the job
A Payroll Officer job description should include the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensuring all payroll transactions are processed efficiently
- Collecting, calculating, and entering data in order to maintain and update payroll information
- Compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and non-taxable wages and reporting on this
- Determining payroll liabilities by calculating employee federal and state income, social security taxes, employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments
- Resolving payroll discrepancies
- Maintaining payroll operations by following policies and procedures
- Developing ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed
Payroll Officer job qualifications and requirements
Although no degree is necessary to enter a career in payroll, a degree in finance or economics would be beneficial. Applicants can also possess a Certificate III in Business or a Certificate III in Financial Services.
Aside from this, it is imperative that a Payroll Officer job description highlights the need for great attention to detail, a solid grasp of mathematics, alongside excellent organisational and communication skills. A Payroll Officer will also be exposed to confidential information – thus a high degree of professionalism and discretion should be included in the job description.
Are you looking for a Payroll Officer role? View our latest Payroll Officer jobs here.