Financial Controller Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Financial Controller and Finance and accounting trends.
A Financial Controller is a senior management role that overseas all functions of an organisation’s finance and accounting department. For smaller businesses, this may even be an executive position.
A Financial Controller job description should call for high-level analytic skills, brilliant management ability and at least five years’ experience.
Financial Controller duties and responsibilities of the job
As the role responsible for managing all finance and accounting operations, it’s critical that a Financial Controller job description captures the breadth, diversity and seniority of the role. A Financial Controller’s duties and responsibilities generally include:
- Developing financial strategy, including risk minimisation plans and opportunity forecasting
- High-level financial reporting and analysis
- Regular budget consolidation
- Cash flow management
- Improving efficiencies and reducing costs across the business
- Stakeholder management
- Debt management and collection
- Preparing company tax and BAS statements
- Ensuring compliance with statutory law and financial regulations
- Developing financial reviews and providing investment advice
- Payroll processing
- Working closely with management or executive teams to share reports and analysis findings
- Well-developed leadership skills
Financial Controller job qualifications and requirements
A Financial Controller job description should ask for one or several degrees and extensive experience managing finance teams, preparing and analysing reports and making improvements to fiscal tools and systems. Relevant qualifications are in the fields of:
- Finance or Economics
- Business Administration
- Business Law
In addition to Bachelor or Masters level degrees, it would be beneficial for the job description to describe candidates who have participated in a CPA (Certified Practising Accountants) or CA (Chartered Accountants) program. This globally recognised program denotes high professional competency.
Ideal candidates could also be members of, or connected to recognised professional associations such as the Finance and Treasury Association, Australian Bankers Association or FINSIA.
Are you looking for a Finance Controller role? View our latest Finance Controller jobs here.