Good credit management is essential to an organisation’s healthy cash flow, and the Credit Controller is responsible for managing a book of debtor accounts to ensure timely payment of outstanding invoices. A Credit Controller job description should include conducting credit checks on new customers, resolving problems in relation to invoice payments, and reconciling complex month-end accounts. They must also report to management on outstanding issues, whilst highlighting potential debtor problems.
Credit Controller duties and responsibilities of the job
A Credit Controller job description includes overseeing the collection of customer accounts in a manner that ensures high customer satisfaction and loyalty. As such, a Credit Controller must be able to communicate in an efficient yet friendly manner with customers, as well as the broader accounts receivable team while reporting to the Financial Controller.
A Credit Controller job description typically includes:
- Creating procedures and policies that ensure timely payments while maintaining a high level of customer retention
- Reconciling complex accounts that have been escalated from the AR team
- Monitoring debtor balances to ensure a reduction in debtors DSO
- Ensuring credit and collection policies and procedures are followed within your team
- Liaising with customers, as well as internal personnel including the sales team
Credit Controller job qualifications and requirements
A Credit Controller job description should detail a minimum Bachelor’s degree requirement in a finance or business related field of study.
In addition to five years’ experience working within an accounts receivable and/or credit control environment, candidates for a Credit Controller role will also need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Good business acumen for problem solving
- Competency with large ERP systems
- Confidence to deal with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise a demanding workload
Are you looking for a Credit Controller role? View our latest Credit Controller jobs here.