I heard working in recruitment is hard with long hours.
- Working in recruitment can be challenging. That’s why we offer extensive training and development, both through tailored programs and on the job. If you have the right drive and ambition, it can be quite rewarding and straightforward. And if you’re worried about the long hours that are often synonymous with recruitment, we offer the support you need to stay on track and avoid the long hours that disorganised recruiters can face. We also offer peak work hours and flexible time.
How does the base and commission structure work?
- Everyone at Robert Half receives a base income plus super, guaranteed. However, recruitment consultants have much greater earning potential because the bonus plans we offer are un-capped. The bonus structure also works on a tier-system, which becomes more lucrative the more you contribute - so what you put in, you directly get out. Our operating models are geared around working as a team, putting our clients and candidates first via our Ethics First policy.
How long will it take for me to get the hang of the role if I have never worked in recruitment before?
- About three months. We offer a very robust training program as part of your onboarding. With our tried and tested 13-week plan and ongoing training, you will quickly understand our metrics and KPIs, and get a hang of the role in just a few short months.
What do other recruiters at Robert Half have to say about their experience?
- Our valued team members are in agreement – Robert Half is an enjoyable and rewarding place to work. We are very collaborative, offer sufficient training at the beginning of their onboarding to follow-through, and we embrace an entrepreneurial team spirit. Our culture is not just about account management - we enjoy the thrill of hunting down new business and nurturing that relationship. And being under the umbrella of Robert Half, you’ll get the highest level of technological support to help you get the job done, focus on the business development, and make administration and sales easy.
Does Robert Half sponsor overseas (non-perm resident) applicants?
- No. Robert Half Australia does not consider candidates who are not permanent residents, however, in certain circumstances we might consider particularly skilled or qualified applicants.
How do Robert Half recruiter roles differ?
- While we offer a career for those who want to focus more on candidates, most of our consultants are ‘360 recruiters’ where you would operate on both the client and candidate side, rather than only one pathway.
Money does motivate me but what other satisfaction can I hope to get from a role in recruitment?
- Helping people is very rewarding. Helping a candidate find a new job or assisting a client recruit new talent is an amazing accomplishment. The office environment is also great – feeling that you are part of a team with incredible support is a great motivation as well.
What are the personality traits that help someone be successful in a recruiter role?
- Recruitment can be challenging and highly competitive. Our most successful recruiters are highly resilient. They also have a drive and motivation to be successful, work collaboratively and want to be able to measure success based on merit, rather than tenure.
I would like to become an HR professional in the future. Is working in a recruitment agency a good place to start my HR career?
- While the roles are not mutually exclusive, if you would like to be an HR generalist, you might want to consider working directly for a corporate organisation. While there are aspects of our business that are similar, Robert Half is not an HR company.
Money is not a motivator for me. I want to help people find their dream job. Is recruiting the right choice for me?
- Helping people find their dream job is definitely something we want in our recruiters, but it is not the sole driver. Your commercial acumen adds the most value to our business.
I want to recruit in the blue collar industry (or any other function we do not recruit for), is this possible with Robert Half?
- We focus mainly on finance and accounting, technology and administration. Our priority is being the largest specialised recruiter in these areas. For those looking to recruit in blue collar areas, please look at our lines of business before applying to see if one of them matches your interests.
What previous careers would have the best transferable skills to becoming a professional recruiter?
The roles listed below would be suitable for a career in recruitment:
- Real Estate Agent
- Real Estate Sales
- Insurance Sales Consultant
- Insurance Sales Agent
- Business Development Consultant
- Business Development Manager
- Sales & Customer Service Representative/Officer
- Sales Representative
- Sales Consultant
- Sales Manager
- Area Manager
- Outbound Sales Representative
- Account Manager
- New Business Consultant
- Client Acquisition Specialist
- Customer Retention Manager
- B2B Sales Rep/Consultant