A Java, C#, .Net, C, Sybase and Oracle Software Developer is generally responsible for the development, design and implementation of new or modified software products or ongoing business projects. Typically sitting within the IT team of a business, a Software Developer will be involved in liaising with the Business Analysts and Development Managers to ensure software projects meet requirements.
- Researching, designing, implements and managing software programs
- Testing and evaluating new programs
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing
- Writing and implementing efficient code
- Determining operational practicality
- Developing quality assurance procedures
- Deploying software tools, processes and metrics
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems
- Training users
- Working closely with other developers, UX designers, business and systems analysts
A degree and a technical background will be required to gain a Software Developer role. Degrees in the following subjects are likely to be particularly advantageous:
- Computer Science
- Computer Software Engineering
- Software Programming and Development
The Australian Government also offers Software Development training courses that may be beneficial to people that have qualifications in fields other than computing, mathematics or science.
As well as formal qualifications, candidates will also need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- A knowledge and interest in computer systems and the latest technologies
- An ability to learn new technologies quickly
- An analytical mind
- The ability to communicate complex procedures to other colleagues
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- Attention to detail and desire to probe further into data
- Deadline-orientated and an ability to stick to time constraints
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.
Search for software developer jobs in Australia below:
- Search for software developer jobs in Sydney
- Search for software developer jobs in Melbourne
- Search for software developer jobs in Brisbane
- Search for software developer jobs in Perth
Browse through our current list of software developer jobs in Australia below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.