Protecting the integrity of both IT systems, networks and data has become a key goal of organisations globally, and Security Analysts play a key role here.
As a Security Analyst you will be responsible for planning and executing initiatives designed to defend an organisation’s IT system against cyber attacks. In addition, Security Analysts monitor and respond to data breaches, and actively participate in incident management and remediation.
As cyber threats evolve at a rapid pace, Security Analysts are expected to stay up to date with the latest security risks, and correspondingly, stay abreast of emerging security initiatives.
As a senior member of the IT team, a Security Analyst must be able to communicate security concerns, needs, and solutions to colleagues, including those without an IT background.
- Planning and implementing security measures applicable to systems, networks and data
- Manage the installation and maintenance of software and other security applications
- Research new threats and security tactics
- Respond to, and document, security incidents
- Communicating security concerns to a broader team and develop effective solutions
A degree in IT, Computer Science, Information Security or related field is essential for candidates seeking a Security Analyst role. Do note, some employers may require expertise in particular high-level programming languages such as C++, Java or Scala, plus experience with Window and/or Linus operating systems.
As well as formal qualifications, candidates will also need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- A deep understanding of networks, systems and security applications
- Experience implementing multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, identity management or related technologies
- Attention to detail – even the smallest weakness in a system can provide an opening for hackers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a broad IT team
- Attention to detail
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.