As a Product Controller, you will be responsible for the accounting and financial reporting of a trading desk, ensuring the accuracy of trades and liaising with the broader finance team.
Product controllers need to produce Profit and Loss (P&L) accounts on a regular basis including daily and weekly, as well as quarterly.
A Product Controller needs to analyse the figures on P&L for risk and market trends, and ensure adherence to trading limits and broader compliance requirements.
As a Product Controller you will need to conduct in-depth risk analysis and be competent in the use of risk modelling systems. Strong communication skills are essential as a Product Controller is called on to liaise across a variety of different departments.
- Complete profit and loss analyses on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Perform ongoing price verification procedures to ensure appropriate valuation of firm inventory
- Assess new trades for valuation, accounting treatment, and disclosure in financial statements
- Evaluate capital requirements for the trading business
- Produce financial statements, and identify and meet compliance disclosures
- Liaise with the broader financial reporting team
A degree in Accounting, Economics or Finance is highly desirable for a Product Controller role, and professional certifications such as a CA or CPA may be required by some organisations.
In addition, candidates for a Product Controller role will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Excellent knowledge of money markets
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong understanding of net present value, net interest income, and mark to market concepts
- Confidence to work quickly and under pressure in an environment where markets can change rapidly
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly
- Proficiency with Excel
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.
Search for product controller jobs in Australia below:
- Search for product control jobs in Sydney
- Search for product control jobs in Melbourne
- Search for product control jobs in Brisbane
- Search for product control jobs in Perth
Browse through our current list of product controller jobs in Australia below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.