A Personal Assistant (PA) works with senior staff to provide one-to-one support. Typically PAs support their staff by offering administrative help such as monitoring a boss’s email, drafting communications on their behalf, planning and organising meetings and their travel.
A PA will need a deep understanding of the company and know who the key personnel are, as they are representing a senior member of staff. For this same reason, it is important a PA has great interpersonal skills, is well-presented and professional. Ultimately, the role of a Personal Assistant can be extremely broad and vary on a day-to-day basis.
- Monitoring boss’s email and responding if boss requires – preparing communications on behalf of your boss is likely
- Answering phone calls
- Organising travel and itineraries
- Organising and planning meetings
- Taking notes and writing minutes during meetings
- Conducting or preparing any research your boss may require
- Various ad hoc requests
There are no formal education requirements expected of a Personal Assistant. However, there are a number of personal qualities that make a great employee this includes:
- Computer literacy, as you will be expected to type notes and minutes and perform computer-based tasks, likely to a tight deadline
- Verbal and written articulacy, as you will probably be communicating with the wider business which will be representative of your boss so being professional both verbally and written is vital
- Discretion, as you may be privy to some private and extremely senior conversations
- Efficiency and time-keeping, as any inefficiency may seriously impact your boss keeping with the theme, add a reason
- Strong organisational skills, so that you or your boss are able to find anything urgently, quickly as above
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.
Search for personal assistant jobs in Australia below:
- Search for personal assistant jobs in Sydney
- Search for personal assistant jobs in Melbourne
- Search for personal assistant jobs in Brisbane
- Search for personal assistant jobs in Perth
Browse through our current list of personal assistant jobs in Australia below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.