The IT Support team maintains the computer networks of big and small organisations, providing technical support and ensuring the whole company runs smoothly. IT Support will monitor and maintain the company computer systems, installing and configuring and solving technical problems.
- Installing and configuring computer hardware, software, systems, networks, printers and scanners
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks
- Responding in a timely manner and providing technical support across the company (this may be in person or over the phone)
- Setting up accounts for new users
- Repairing and replacing equipment as necessary
- Testing new technology
- Possibly training more junior members of staff
Although a formal degree might not always be necessary in an IT Support role, graduates may be preferred – especially those with relevant degrees. This may include the following:
- Computer science
There will also be a number of qualities you’ll be expected to display:
- A technical, logical thought process
- Problem-solving skills
- An ability to stick to strict deadlines
- An ability to prioritise and delegate
- A keen eye for detail
Because of the nature of the job, some companies will require their IT Support to undertake shift work. Also worth noting is the occasionally physical nature of the role as you may have to lift and carry heavy equipment.
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.
Search for IT support jobs in Australia below:
- Search for IT support jobs in Sydney
- Search for IT support jobs in Melbourne
- Search for IT support jobs in Brisbane
- Search for IT support jobs in Perth
Browse through our current list of IT support jobs in Australia below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.