The rising threat of cyber-attacks coupled with the important role data and IT systems play in business operations has intensified demand for professionals with specialist skills in IT security.
The Head of IT Security performs a key role, working closely with the Chief Technology Officer (CIO), other executives and the broader IT team to ensure best information security practices are in place.
A key aspect of the Head of IT Security role includes defining and delivering information security strategies and policies. The Head of IT Security is also responsible for managing end-user security environments on an organisation-wide scale and implementing and updating an effective information security management system.
- Leading the development of the organisation’s IT security strategy, standards and processes and aligning them with legislation and industry standards
- Protecting the organisation’s data and IT system from sophisticated cyber-attacks
- Building a culture of effective information security and managing IT security risk by adopting a best practice approach and supporting processes
- Providing expertise for the selection, design, implementation and operation of new information security controls, supporting policies and technology
- Offering practical, elegant and cost-effective solutions for defending the organisation and its customers against increasingly aggressive and sophisticated cyber-attackers
In addition to a degree in Computer Science or related field and extensive relevant experience in an IT security environment, candidates for a Head of IT Security role will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Strong technical knowledge of IT architecture, development or operations with a real interest in information security
- Understanding of the implementation and working application of information security standards such as ISO 27001
- Knowledge of successfully introducing a new information security program within an organisation
- Brilliant communication skills to explain technical concepts to a wide range of colleagues including those who don’t have an IT background
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.