A Financial Accountant is responsible for running the accounting and financial activities of an organisation. They will analyse the economic stability of the company and provide financial information to other departments, enabling these departments to make budgeting and investment decisions. A Financial Accountant will report on costs, productivity, margins and company expenditures.
- Preparing of monthly profit and loss and balance sheet reports
- Tax reporting and inventory processing
- Collecting and analysing data, which is then used in the preparation of weekly and monthly estimates
- Advising on estimates for project funding
- Creating KPI reports
- Preparing weekly cash flow statements, controlling expenditure and cash flow
- Assisting with the preparation of year end accounts and statutory accounts
- Responding to financial inquiries by gathering and interpreting data
- Conducting internal audits such as wage reviews
- Examining financial records to check for accuracy
- Managing and training staff when necessary
A degree and experience in the financial field will be required to gain a financial accountant role. Degrees in the following subjects is likely to be particularly advantageous:
- Accountancy or Finance
- Business Studies
A Chartered Accountant or Certified Practising Accountant qualification is likely to give you the competitive edge over other candidates. Both CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand offer accredited courses in these areas.
As well as formal qualifications, candidates will also need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- An analytical mind
- Negotiation skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- A keen eye for detail and desire to probe further into data
- Deadline-orientated and an ability to stick to time constraints
There are a number of international accounting bodies that are recognised too.
Search for financial accountant jobs in Australia below:
- Search for financial accountant jobs in Sydney
- Search for financial accountant jobs in Melbourne
- Search for financial accountant jobs in Brisbane
- Search for financial accountant jobs in Perth
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.