A Data Analyst interprets data and turns it into information which can offer ways to improve a business, thus affecting business decisions. A Data Analyst will gather information from various sources and interpret patterns and trends which is what makes Data Analysis a very analytical role. Once data has been gathered and interpreted, the Data Analyst will report back what has been found in a comprehensive study to the wider business/relevant colleagues.
Additionally, Data Analysts will often make recommendations about the methods and ways in which a company obtains and analyses data to improve data quality and the efficiency of data systems.
- Collecting and interpreting data
- Analysing results
- Reporting the results back to the relevant members of the business
- Identifying patterns and trends in data sets
- Working along sides teams within the business or the management team to establish business needs
- Defining new data collection and analysis processes
A degree in the following subjects may be beneficial in developing a career in data analysis:
- Computer Science
There are also a number of qualities you’ll be expected to demonstrate to flourish in a Data Analysis role:
- Experience in data models and reporting packages
- Ability to analyse large datasets
- Ability to write comprehensive reports
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as Data Analysts do communicate with the wider business
- An analytical mind and inclination for problem-solving
- Attention to detail as data analysis and reporting must be precise
Search for data analyst jobs in Australia below:
- Search for data analyst jobs in Sydney
- Search for data analyst jobs in Melbourne
- Search for data analyst jobs in Brisbane
- Search for data analyst jobs in Perth
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.