A Cyber Security Specialist identifies and solves potential and actual IT security problems by analysing where security breaches may have occurred and how they can be prevented in future. They will research, develop, test and review a company’s IT security in order to protect access from unauthorised users.
A Cyber Security Specialist will also install software, implement security measures and monitor networks. Part of their role will be to identify potential IT security problems and make recommendations on how to improve security measures. As a result, it is paramount that a Cyber Security Specialist is up to date with the latest system modifications and technological advancements.
- Protecting a company’s IT security system by controlling access privileges
- Evaluating the efficiency of the security system
- Identifying problems in the IT security system, where security breaches have occurred and how these can be avoided in the future
- Implementing measures that should reduce security risks
- Upgrading existing systems with any modifications and updates that may enhance security measures
- Preparing technical reports to communicate back to the business
As information security grows as a sector, it’s becoming more vital to enter the field with a degree. Whilst a degree in any field is well-received, something related to the industry may be advantageous. This includes:
- Computing Science
- Network Engineering
A Cyber Security Specialist will also need to have:
- An analytical mind
- Attention to detail and ability to recognise trends in data
- Ability to interpret and adapt information sourced so that other business units can understand what’s being show
- Discretion as you may be privy to sensitive information
Want more information on IT security trends? Download the 2016 Cyber-security report.
Search for cyber security jobs in Australia below:
- Search for cyber security jobs in Sydney
- Search for cyber security jobs in Melbourne
- Search for cyber security jobs in Brisbane
- Search for cyber security jobs in Perth
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.