The Assistant Accountant will provide support to the managing accountant and wider finance team by helping to prepare financial statements, accounts, budgets, processing invoices and preparing VAT returns. Assistant Accountants are also a key member of the finance team who are responsible for the finalisation of month and year-end accounts.
The role is hugely instrumental in helping the finance team make decisions about what will ultimately improve business performance and acts as a stepping stone into a career within finance and accounting.
- Supporting the managing accountant and wider finance team
- Collaborating with these teams to work on various accounting projects
- Performing reconciliations of accounts
- Processing payments and invoices accurately and within expected time periods
- Verifying financial statements, ledgers and accounts and making corrections where appropriate
- Preparing profit and loss accounts sheets
- Preparing VAT return
- Preparing the yearly budget
- Taking minutes in meetings and other administrative duties
Although a bachelor’s degree isn’t a requirement, it may be advantageous in helping you secure a career in accounting or finance, of which an accounting assistant is the first step. Degrees in the following industries may be especially well-received by employers:
An Assistant Accountant will be expected to demonstrate the following skills:
- The ability to produce accurate financial reports
- Excellent attention to detail
- Discretion as there will likely be sensitive information and figures discussed
- The ability to work to strict time constraints
- The ability to prioritise work
- An organised and methodical approach to a task
An Accounts Assistant is unlikely to be expected to have a huge amount of experience and is likely to get a lot of on-the-job training.
Please note, this is a national average - to compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your local state or territory, visit our salary calculator.
Search for assistant accountant jobs in Australia below:
- Search for assistant accountant jobs in Sydney
- Search for assistant accountant jobs in Melbourne
- Search for assistant accountant jobs in Brisbane
- Search for assistant accountant jobs in Perth
Browse through our current list of assistant accountant jobs in Australia below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.