Software Developer recruitment experts
Hire a Software Developer
Looking for Software Developer jobs? Search jobs
What is a Software Developer?
A Java, C#, .Net, C, Sybase and Oracle Software Developer is generally responsible for the development, design and implementation of new or modified software products or ongoing business projects.
Typically sitting within the IT team of a business, a Software Developer will be involved in liaising with the Business Analysts and Development Managers to ensure software projects meet requirements.
What should be included in a Software Developer job description?
If you are hiring a Software Developer professional, the job description can feature:
- Researching, designing, implementing, and managing software programs
- Testing and evaluating new programs
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing these modifications
- Writing and implementing efficient code
- Determining operational practicality
- Developing quality assurance procedures
- Deploying software tools, processes, and metrics
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems
- Training users
- Working closely with other developers, UX designers, business and systems analysts
What skills and qualifications should a Software Developer have?
A degree and a technical background should be required to gain a Software Developer role. Degrees in the following subjects should be highlighted as particularly advantageous:
- Computer Science
- Computer Software Engineering
- Software Programming and Development
As well as formal qualifications, a Software Developer job description should highlight the following qualities:
- Knowledge and interest in computer systems and the latest technologies
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly
- An analytical mind
- The ability to communicate complex procedures to other colleagues
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- Attention to detail and desire to probe further into data
How much does a Software Developer earn?
A Software Developer salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what a Software Developer is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.