Similar to the role of Project Manager, a Program Manager is responsible for designing, coordinating and improving the internal and external programs of an organisation. Program Managers work across a range of industries to deliver programs that align to the organisation’s strategic vision.
When writing a Program Manager job description, consider how the programs reflect and interact with broader organisational goals to attract candidates with the right skills and experience.
Program Manager duties and responsibilities of the job
There are a range of duties and responsibilities that Program Managers need to master in order to run programs successfully and economically. Here are some duties to include in a Program Manager job description:
- Expanding program offering and enhancing the quality of existing programs
- Developing and implementing strategy for the program team, including developing a robust risk mitigation plan
- Understanding how different projects interlink and overlap
- Working with the HR team to manage staff and resources for programs
- Liaising with the marketing and communications team to increase awareness of programs
- Managing budgets and reporting on fund allocation
- Participating in tender and grant application process including design, submission and review
- Coordinating and running events and workshops
- Gathering feedback and presenting insights
- Reporting on program performance to executive team and directors
- Identifying opportunities for continual improvement
- Developing industry partnerships
- Ensuring relevant standards, process and regulations are upheld
Program Manager job qualifications and requirements
The most valuable qualifications will vary for Program Managers, given that it is an important, senior role that traverses industries and organisations. As such, a Program Manager job description should ask for one or more formal qualifications in the subjects below:
- Business or Business Administration
- IT or Computer Science
In the job description, also note the need for five or more years’ experience in a similar role, requesting candidates who have worked on successful, large-scale programs and are recognised or even awarded within the industry.