IT Product Manager recruitment experts
Hire a Product Manager
Looking for IT Product Manager jobs? Search jobs
What is an IT Product Manager?
The Product Manager is responsible for the development and production of innovative IT products designed to meet the needs of customers.
It is their job to oversee a product or product line(s) from conception and design through to release, referred to as the software product life cycle. This often involves collaborating with a wide range of business units: design and engineering, manufacturing, supply chain and logistics, marketing, sales, and more.
What should be included in a Product Manager job description?
Often, Product Managers are required to perform a number of varied tasks, from consumer research, product design and manufacture to supply chain and logistics management, and even marketing.
For that reason, their job description should include:
- Perform benchmarking
- Conduct market and consumer research
- Oversee design and manufacture of product(s)/product line(s)
- Drive product launches
- Analyse product performance
- Drive product optimisation
What skills and qualifications should an IT Product Manager have?
While a tertiary education in computer science, software development or engineering is recommended, it is not required. However, extensive management experience, particularly within IT, is essential.
Other experience required by good Product Managers include:
- Project management
- Expertise in the product and/or field
- Customer service and a consumer-centric mindset
- Demonstrable experience managing an IT product from conception to launch
- Proven ability to lead teams and collaborate across business units
Soft skills list:
- Communication skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- Critical thinking skills
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Problem solving
- Time management
How much does a Product Manager earn?
$90,000 - $180,000
A Product Manager salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what a Product Manager is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.