IT Security Manager recruitment experts
Hire an IT Security Manager
Looking for IT Security Manager jobs? Search jobs
What is an IT Security Manager?
Sometimes also referred to as an Information Security Manager or a Cyber Security Manager, it is up to the IT Security Manager to lead a team of cyber-security professionals in managing and implementing programs to protect an organisation from cyber-security threats.
What should be included in an IT Security Manager job description?
The IT Security Manager is required primarily to lead the IT Security team to deliver security measures within an organisation. A managerial position that nonetheless requires a high level of specialised technical knowledge, a good IT Security Manager will balance leadership and organisational skills with expert-level experience securing technology from both internal and external threats.
The IT Security Manager is also responsible for:
- Managing department budgets
- Hiring, onboarding, and training new staff
- Monitor all operations and processes
- Test and maintain all security measures, upgrading as required
- Work with and educate organisation staff to minimise risk
- Create and implement new security strategies
- Implement and integrate new security measures, processes, and technologies
- Assess new technology, processes, and infrastructure for risk
- Develop and audit best practice policies
- Report on risk activity
- Proactively respond to threats and attacks
- Crisis management
As cyber-security is a fast-paced, dynamic field, IT Security Managers should be keeping up with the latest technology trends and developments, as well as keeping up with new threat developments.
What skills and qualifications should an IT Security Manager have?
IT Security Managers should be able to demonstrate highly developed leadership skills, and have in-depth knowledge of cyber-security. Several years experience within a specialist cyber-security role is essential.
While a tertiary education in computer science and/or cyber-security is recommended, it is not strictly necessary. In fact, many companies prefer their cyber-security specialists -- including IT Security Managers -- to verify their best practice, up-to-date knowledge via reputable certifications. The most popular include:
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) by (ISC)²
- Certified Information Systems Analyst (CISA) by ISACA
- Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Certificate by IBM
- Certified Information Security Manager by ISACA
- Security+ by CompTIA+n
Other technical skills include:
- Back-end programming languages, like C++ and PHP
- Security frameworks
- Risk management
- Disaster/crisis planning and management
- Cryptographic and key infrastructure protocols
Soft skills list:
- Attention to detail
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Ability to work under pressure
How much does an IT Security Manager earn?
$120,000 - $230,000
An IT Security Manager salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what an IT Security Manager is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.