IT Director recruitment experts
Hire a IT Director
Looking for IT Director jobs? Search jobs
What is an IT Director?
IT Directors oversee all IT-related operations within an organisation. They often manage teams, supervising and mentoring both senior technicians and staff, and entry-level assistants. They ensure the smooth day-to-day function of IT departments, systems, and processes, and create and implement best practices and policies.
They may also analyse the technology needs of departments, teams, and projects, and deliver strategies and solutions to meet their business goals and needs, within specified timeframes and budgets.
What should be included in an IT Director job description?
The majority of the time, IT Directors are likely to be found managing IT staff and overseeing the smooth function of the IT department.
Other common tasks include:
- Liaising with other business units in order to address their technology needs
- Ensuring the maintenance and upgrade of existing IT systems
- Identifying and addressing security vulnerabilities
- Ensuring technical support tickets and issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Preparing budgets, forecasts, and performance reports
- Identifying and recommending new technology solutions
- Developing disaster/crisis recovery strategies
What skills and qualifications should an IT Director have?
While a tertiary education in computer science or a related field is recommended, it is not a strict requirement. Instead, IT Directors should be able to demonstrate a high level of technical and managerial/leadership skills. For that reason, several years experience in a management position is advised, particularly within a technical environment.
IT is a fast-paced, dynamic field. As such, IT Directors should be able to demonstrate lifelong learning and the ability to keep up-to-date with the latest trends and developments via certifications, membership to professional organisations, other professional development achievements, and active networking.
Other technical skills should include:
Soft skills should include:
- Communication (with IT and non-IT staff)
- Ability to work under pressure
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Leadership and mentoring
How much does an IT Director earn?
$70,000 - $110,000
An IT Director salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what an IT Director is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.