Full Stack Developer recruitment experts
Hire a Full Stack Developer
Looking for Full Stack Developer jobs? Search jobs
What is a Full Stack Developer?
Full Stack Developers are highly skilled developers that can design both the front-end (i.e. the user end) and the back-end of a website.
A ‘Full Stack’ refers to all the layers of a website or application, and includes all the hidden architecture, databases, and servers that the end user can’t see.
What should be included in a Full Stack Developer job description?
As Full Stack Developers are responsible for both the front-end and back-end design of websites, they are excellent generalists that can straddle both worlds. As such, many organisations use them to translate between teams, or spot errors that a specialist may not notice. This means they have a broad set of responsibilities that may change depending on the current needs of the team or client with whom they work.
However, in general, it is their responsibility to:
- Work with the client to define project requirements and objectives
- Manage databases and servers
- Create prototype sites (i.e. minimal viable product)
- Work with specialised developers and designers to create a fully-rounded product
- Cross-platform optimisation
What skills and qualifications should a Full Stack Developer have?
Full Stack Developers straddle the line between designer and coder. As such, they need to have a good understanding of both web development and design practices.
While a tertiary education in computer science or software development is recommended, it is not necessary. Instead, Full Stack Developers should be able to demonstrate:
- Familiarity with WC3 standards
- Proficiency with back-end languages: Python, Ruby, Java, PHP and .net, and any related frameworks
- Experience working with and building databases; SQL/NoSQL, Oracle, MongoDB
Soft skills should include:
- Customer service
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Project management
- The ability to translate complex ideas for non-tech staff/customers
How much does a Full Stack Developer earn?
$50,000 - $200,000
A Full Stack Developer salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what a Full Stack Developer is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.