Front-end Developer recruitment experts
Hire a Front-end Developer
Looking for Front-end Developer jobs? Search jobs
What is a Front-end Developer?
Front-end Developers are highly skilled developers that create the client-side (or the “front-end”) of websites. They are responsible for the way the end-user interacts with a website, app, or the elements within. They are both designers and coders.
What should be included in a Front-end Developer job description?
Front-end Developers are responsible for the design and build of a website, as well as the ongoing maintenance and upgrade of existing sites.
It is also their job to:
- Work with clients to design and build a website from scratch
- Optimise the website for the user experience (UX) and SEO
- Debug and test for usability
- Manage software workflow and deliver projects to deadline
- Design solutions to improve site interaction and functionality
What skills and qualifications should a Front-end Developer have?
Because Front-end Developers straddle the line between designer and coder. As such, they need to have a good understanding of both web development and design practices.
While a tertiary education in computer science or software development is recommended, it is not necessary. Instead, Front-end Developers should be able to demonstrate:
- A strong understanding of HTML5 and CSS3, and any CSS frameworks, e.g. Bootstrap
- Familiarity with WC3 standards
- Experience building responsible and mobile websites
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS) and e-commerce platforms
Soft skills should include:
- Customer service
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- The ability to translate complex ideas for non-tech staff/customers
How much does a Front-end Developer earn?
$55,000 - $160,000
A Front-end Developer salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what a Front-end Developer is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.