Database Manager recruitment experts
Hire a Database Manager
Looking for Database Manager jobs? Search jobs
What is a Database Manager?
Database Managers, also referred to as Database Administrators, develop and maintain databases, or repair and improve existing databases. They are responsible for overseeing the implementation and maintenance of up-to-date security and update protocols, as well as leading a team of Database Developers.
Database Managers may also be required to perform statistical analyses on data, train technical and non-technical staff, design databases based on business requirements, and create technical and user manuals.
What should be included in a Database Manager job description?
As a valued member of the IT team, a typical Database Manager job description should include, but is not limited to:
- Oversee database operations
- Hire and lead the database development team
- Maintain database security protocols
- Create database documentation for end-users and technical support staff
- Develop and optimise best practice procedures
- Analyse data as required.
What skills and qualifications should a Database Manager have?
While a tertiary education in software development, mathematics, or computer science is recommended, it is not a strict requirement. Instead, Database Managers should be able to demonstrate successful experience developing databases, managing a team of technical staff, and strong customer service skills.
Other technical skills should include:
- Expert-level knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to translate non-technical requests into technical solutions
- Ability to analyse data and translate findings into business insights
Soft skills should include:
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
How much does a Database Manager earn?
$80,000 - $140,000
A Database Manager salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what a Database Manager is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.