An Internal Auditor works within a company to monitor and assess how risks are being managed and how internal processes are working. They act as consultants, applying a systematic methodology to their work, looking at ways in which to evaluate the effectiveness of risk management and improve how a company operates overall.
Internal Auditor duties and responsibilities of the job
An appropriate Internal Auditor job description should include the following functions:
- Evaluating the company's compliance program
- Evaluating how well risk management is being handled within a company - evaluating information security and risk exposures
- Reporting on risk management issues
- Performing an analysis on how the company will perform in the case of business interruption
- Providing continued education and advice to different business units and teams regarding compliance and risk assessment
- Anticipating emerging issues through data and assessment
- Communicating with a variety of stakeholders
Internal Auditor job qualifications and requirements
A degree in one of the following fields should be included as a qualification requirement for Internal Auditing:
- Business Studies
Anyone looking to work in this industry will also be expected to display the following qualities:
- Attention to detail is imperative
- Organisation and time-keeping
- The ability to keep calm under pressure, especially when there are tight deadlines
- The ability to think objectively
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written should also be included in an Internal Auditor job description, as there will be ongoing communication with teams in other business units and the senior management team.
Are you looking for an Internal Auditor role? View our latest Internal Auditor jobs here.