Administrative Assistant recruitment experts
Hire an Administrative Assistant
Looking for Administrative Assistant jobs? Search jobs
What is an Administrative Assistant?
Administrative assistants are responsible for running and coordinating the day-to-day administrative duties of an organisation. This essential role provides support to management and/or the office team through answering incoming communications, distributing mail correspondence, general admin duties such as filing, printing or photocopying, data entry and various ad hoc duties.
What should be included in an Administrative Assistant job description?
Central to smooth process and efficiency, an Administrative Assistant job description generally includes some of the below tasks and responsibilities:
- Answering and directing phone calls to relevant staff
- Scheduling meetings and appointments
- Taking notes and minutes in meetings
- Ordering and taking stock of office supplies
- Being a point of contact for a range of staff and external stakeholders
- Preparing documents for meetings and business trips
- Processing and directing mail and incoming packages or deliveries
- Greeting and directing visitors and new staff to the organisation
- Writing and issuing emails to teams and departments on behalf of teams or senior staff
- Researching and booking travel arrangements for staff members
- Finding ways to improve administrative processes
What skills and qualifications should an Administrative Assistant have?
Formal qualifications and degrees are not traditionally required for Administrative Assistant roles. However, there are courses and certificates for candidates that are valuable to the role. These include:
- Certificate in Business Administration
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Bachelor in Business Administration
Additionally, requesting knowledge of certain programs in the Administrative Assistant job description will help attract top talent:
- Proficiency in MS Office, with exceptional knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of Google Docs
- Knowledge of project and task management tools such as Basecamp, Trello and Smartsheet
How much does an Administrative Assistant earn?
$100,000 - $170,000
An Administrative Assistant salary is determined typically by the number of years of experience, soft and technical skills, and the scale of responsibilities in the organisation. To find out what an Administrative Assistant is earning this year, download our complimentary Robert Half Salary Guide.