Posted by Robert Half on 21 November 2014
Yay or nay?
When it comes to your CV, always consider whether the information you’re adding is relevant or beneficial to your job application. Your resume should address your experience and skills in an articulate, concise and professional manner. It is more appropriate to add a photo to your LinkedIn profile. On social media, a photo can help paint a broader picture of who you are as an individual.
When choosing a professional photo, consider these dos and don’ts when shortlisting potential snaps.
- Do: Choose a professional-looking photo. Favour a front-facing headshot on a solid, light background.
- Don’t: Use a selfie or a posed, party or group photo taken down at the pub, club or beach.
- Do: Ensure that the photo is well shot with a high resolution and isn’t blurry or out of focus.
- Don’t: Use an avatar, cartoon or funny photo. It’s better to go without.
- Do: Make sure the photo fits in with, and complements, the overall impression of your career experience.
- Don’t: Use a dated or altered photo. Choose a current one that’s true to who you are today.
Always ensure your resume makes a first impression and your social media presence supports your application, to hopefully land you that dream job. Need additional career advice or further assistance with your CV? Contact your local Robert Half office.